Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You Smile and Say the World, it Doesn't Fit With You

There is an incredible thunderstorm going on right now. I love it.

I've had an interesting thought process, which really illuminates to me how much I've changed. It scares me how many things I was SURE OF as a younger person have now changed. I was certain about so many things, but as I come into the adult world, more and more of my childish illusions come crashing down. One thing that has really changed, and is actually kind of rocking my brain, is the conclusion I have recently drawn: I think I want to be a teacher after graduation. Not forever, but I think I want to teach at Wooster. By the time I graduate, I will be more than qualified, and the school is so beautiful and has such a great mission. I think I'd enjoy that. I have so many memories there, it would be cool to make more as an adult. I'd want to be with the middle schoolers, because those are the strongest memories, and I think I could draw on that and it would help me interact with them. English is my gift, and I learned most of it/had the height of my interest in 7th and 8th grade. I want to use that passion and maybe get other people to have that kind of positive experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, teach at Wooster?
It's nice to see some compassion and humanity out of you sometimes, but here I've got to be honest: I'll believe it when I see it.
And then my head will explode.

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Ouch! I think I just broke my jaw when it hit the floor. :)

If this truly interests you, maybe you should try volunteering once a week at a Utica school, help some middle schooler with her English skills. I'm pretty sure Hamilton has some such program.

You should also drop a line to Gary T. - even if you don't end up teaching at Wooster, he'd love to hear from you and he'd really feel pleasure to know that, at least at the moment, you lean that way.

MWAH!